Sweet Potato Pudding
Hell a top, hell a bottom, Hallelujah in the middle!
This is a Jamaican riddle for which the answer is a delicious sweet potato pudding. It is traditionally baked in an iron Dutch pot or Dutch oven with live coals on bottom and top of the Dutch pot. The pudding cooks on its top and bottom simultaneously. Hence the riddle.
Here is a recipe for an exceptional sweet potato pudding.
907 grams sweet potato, grated
113 grams yam grated
½ cup flour
113 grams raisins
1 tsp, baking powder
½ tin evaporated milk
5 cups coconut milk (2 coconuts)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp salt
¼ cup sherry
¼ cup rum
28 grams butter
1. Preheat the oven to 176 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix the grated potato, yam, flour, raisins and baking powder.
3. Mix evaporated milk, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, sherry, rum and butter.
4. Pour milk mixture into potato mixture and beat until smooth.
5. Pour into a greased 9- inch pan.
6. Rest mixture about ½ hour
7. Bake at 176 degrees Celsius for 1-1 ½ hours until the centre is set
8. Serve hot or cold. ¼
Recipe by Enid Donaldson
Also visit our art gallery: https://www.experiencejamaique.com/product_gallery